Article by By Amy Forliti (c) Page One News - Read full story here.
Son of Minnesota man sought in Nazi case wants evidence released
March 18, 2017
MINNEAPOLIS — The son of a 98-year-old Minnesota man sought by Polish authorities in connection with a Nazi massacre reiterated Saturday that his father is innocent and asked that evidence against him be released. A court in Poland issued an arrest warrant for Michael Karkoc last week, opening the way for Poland to seek his extradition from the United States on war crimes charges. The Associated Press had previously identified Karkoc as an ex-commander in an SS-led unit that burned Polish villages and killed civilians in World War II. Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken to intervene in his father’s case “on legal and humanitarian grounds” and to investigate the source of the evidence against him, which Andriy Karkoc says was fabricated by Russian intelligence. Earlier last week, prosecutors from the Institute of National Remembrance in Poland said evidence shows that American citizen Michael K. was a commander of a unit in the SS-led Ukrainian Self Defense Legion that raided eastern Poland’s village of Chlaniow in July 1944, killing 44 people, including women and children. Poland’s decision to issue an arrest warrant comes four years after the Associated published a story establishing that Michael Karkoc commanded the unit, based on wartime documents, testimony from other members of the unit and Karkoc’s own Ukrainian-language memoir.